by Hillary DePiano
Arm Candy is a funny feminist fairy tale play with a steampunk twist!
When the brilliant Betta builds herself a groom out of sugar, a greedy queen steals him from the wedding. Now Betta must save both her handcrafted husband and reputation before time runs out. The result is part 17th Century gender-flipped steampunk Frankenstein, part madcap romantic comedy and all around fun! Alchemy and elbow grease replace wishes and magic in this modern retelling of the Italian fairy tale Pintosmalto from Giambattista Basile’s The Tale of Tales (Il Pentamerone, Lo cunto de li cunti).
- Comedy / Fantasy / Steampunk
- 35-45 Minutes
- 2 male, 3 female, 1 any (4-7+ performers possible)
- Small cast with majority female roles.
- Opportunity to add additional performers and an ensemble as needed.
- Opportunities for physical comedy, singing, dance and puppets.
- Great length for drama competitions and classroom study.
This play is available for productions but unpublished. Members of the New Play Exchange can read it in its entirety for free here.